logo
Home Telephone Location
logo
belfastbiblecollege.com Facebook belfastbiblecollege.com Twitter
Enquire Now
 
 

Ucert

3 month introduction to theological study

This course is ideal for those who have three months and would like a taste of what it means to study theology. Your modules will give you a chance to study a range of different subjects and get exposure to some of the skills needed for theological study.

Student Learning Outcomes

Begin to understand the Biblical and theological foundations of Christian life and ministry.

To learn how to apply the Bible to your own spiritual formation.

To have an ability to engage with the various local and global cultures in which you will live and serve.

To equip you with some basic skills for ministry and ongoing personal development.

Lecturers

Your lecturers/teachers have both an academic and a practical interest in the areas that they teach. Most of the modules are taught by full time staff who also study and write in their area of speciality.

Some modules are taught by external lecturers who are selected for their expertise in the particular subject.

There is an Advisor of Studies who is available to discuss any issues that you have with the course.

You will also get a Fellowship Group leader who will meet with you a number of times in your 3 months to discuss how things are going.

Assessment

The course has been praised for the wide variety of assessment options, the assignments for each module will be chosen to help you to interact more deeply with key elements of the subject, including written essays, journals, class quizzes and presentations.

Each assignment will be introduced in detail by the class teacher, and you will receive detailed feedback on each to help you improve your skills in this area.

There are also two half-modules on study skills and communications, to introduce the necessary skills and enable you to practice them in a safe environment.

University Of Cumbria

This course is delivered in partnership with the University of Cumbria. The teaching is designed and delivered by the Bible College lecturers while the course is validated by the University of Cumbria to ensure it is of an appropriate standard.

You will achive a Ucert from the University of Cumbria. www.cumbria.ac.uk

University of Cumbria

Christian Development

In your 3 months of the course you will take the core module in Personal Development and Discipleship which ensures that your development is key to the course.

Beyond this each module will challenge your spiritual understanding in different ways. Moreover the wider Belfast Bible College experience, being part of a multicultural, interdenominational evangelical community, leads to further growing in relationship both with others and with God.

As with all development it isn’t always easy, but it does lead to deeper relationships and understanding.

Career Options

Those who take the Ucert course, usually do so to enhance their current knowledge and skills for ministry in their local church or as preparation for a period of overseas mission.

Many students of the Ucert course choose to undertake further study and progress to graduate with the 1 year Cert HE, this is achieved by completing the second semister of study.

Learning & Teaching

As a student on the Ucert, you will receive on around 9 hours of timetabled contact per week over the course of your three months. This will involve a combination of teaching methods, including lectures, seminars, and skills classes. The contact time for a module will normally all take place over one morning or afternoon each week to give students flexibility in their use of time.

However learning is about more than contact time. Typically classroom teaching and learning will form nearly 20% of the time you will spend on your studies. In the other 80% you will be expected to be doing your own independent work to build upon what you have learned in class, prepare for the next class and complete your assignments.
We will provide you with detailed reading lists, and other materials to guide you.

Another important part of your study is the opportunity to apply your learning in your chosen placement of approximately 3 hours per week.

 

You will receive about 9 hours of timetabled contact each week. The aim of your modules is to provide a foundation of knowledge and skills in the study of theology, with the three emphases of Bible, Personal Development and Mission & Ministry. The exact style of learning will vary from module to module, depending upon how we can best help you to learn in this particular area. There will be interactive lectures introducing the main issues in the area. There will be also be small group work and discussions which will help you to articulate your own views and interact with the views of others in this interdenominational and multicultural environment.