Aims of the Module
To introduce the student to the original language of the New Testament enabling them to translate sentences, understand grammatical constructions, use Greek Bible study aids and commentaries on the Greek text, so enhancing their understanding of the New Testament text.
Intended Learning Outcomes
On successful completion, you will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the main features of the morphology of Hellenistic Greek
2. Demonstrate a knowledge of the core vocabulary of Hellenistic Greek
3. Use Greek Bible study aids such as lexicons, grammars, Greek text commentaries and computer software to study biblical texts
4. Translate selected passages from the Greek New Testament with the help of various aids and demonstrate an awareness of issues of interpretation related to an understanding of Hellenistic Greek
5. Translate simple unseen sentences from Hellenistic Greek
Indicative Module Content
This module will introduce the students to Hellenistic Greek, the language of the New Testament. Students will be introduced to the overall structure of the language, practise translation skills and use tools such as Greek lexicons, grammars, commentaries and computer software (eg Bibleworks).
Portfolio 1500 words 30%
Portfolio 2500 words 70%Back